Saturday, November 18, 2006

An Interesting Windows XP Issue - Part 2

A few months ago I saw an article in Information Week's Langa Letter column on performing a "No Reformat, Nondestructive Total-Rebuild Option" refresh of Windows XP. This article is about an interesting problem I ran into while running the refresh trying to fix a problematic XP system.

The system I was trying to repair had been subjected to numerous internet game installs, and was running rather sluggishly. It also had problems staying connected to the Internet, and getting e-mail. Both of its browsers (IE and FIREFOX) were out of date, and the anti-virus software was expired. There was also a serious problem with the file system permissions. There were two user accounts on the system with similar names, but one was a "user" and the other was an "admin" account. However, when trying to use the admin account many of the desktop items couldn't be deleted and software couldn't be installed because the system said that the installation required administrative permissions - which it should have had, but didn't. I tried creating a new account and moving files to the new profile for the administrator. This resolved the installation issue, but not the files that couldn't be deleted. I decided it was time to run the refresh install.

The refresh went smoothly until it got to screen 17 in the process - where the system required reactivation. However, when I tried to reactivate the system an error popped up saying that the internet could not be reached. Then another message popped up saying that I had zero days to get the system registered. Then the installation was complete and the machine rebooted.

This is where the fun began. The system was configured to use the "Welcome Page" login screen. It was XP Home edition, so that's fairly common. When I clicked on the icon for the primary user (with admin privileges) I got an error message:

A problem has prevented windows from accurately checking the status of the license for this computer. You can not log on right now. Please ask a computer administrator to activate windows on this computer.
The error message flashes for a moment, then the system logs back out to the Welcome Screen. Nice. This account had administrative privileges so it seemed like that should have worked, but no. I did some research on Microsoft's Technet and came up with article 306081 which advised that with activation issues, sometimes the activation software can get corrupted. It talks you through the process of using the recovery console and expanding the activation software off the install disk to refresh it.

That didn't work.

Other websites strongly advised doing a refresh install - like the one I just did. Doh!

(Just to be safe, I did re-refresh install, but same issue.)

I went back and re-read the error message and decided that maybe it didn't want me to login as a user with administrative priviledges - but as THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT. Only problem there is that the administrator account doesn't show up on the Welcome Screen unless you boot in safe mode.

So I booted into safe mode (with and without networking) and discovered that the Administrator account gave me the same error. In my line of work - and at home, I almost exclusively use a domain and therefore the domain login screen instead of the Welcome Screen. But when I called a friend to describe the problem he mentioned that it was possible to change from the Welcome Screen to the domain login screen - if I could get logged into the system. Which I couldn't.

So I did more research and many sites out there advise that if this happens to you the best solution is to back up your data and just blow the whole system away. But I wasn't prepared to do that - I had one more thing to try. (And it works - so keep reading.)

Here is the actual solution to the problem:
1) Boot the system into SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT. This mode of booting works and does not generate the annoying lockout error.
2) At the command prompt type "EXPLORER.EXE" This will launch the windows desktop and allow you to get to step 3.
3) Go to the CONTROL PANEL -> USER ACCOUNTS -> CHANGE THE WAY USERS LOGON. Change that disable "Use Welcome Screen" then save your settings.
4) Reboot. When the system comes up you should be able to login with the Username/Password dialog box. Use "Administrator" as the user, and whatever password your administrator account has for the password.

Now you should be logged in as administrator and able to re-run the ACTIVATE WINDOWS WIZARD and successfully get the system authorized.
I hope someone will find this information useful. I would post it at one of the myriad "Windows Tech Forums" but I'm too lazy to fill out another friggin forum sign-up even to help people.

No comments: