Saturday, November 11, 2006

We're having a fairy over tonight...

My son lost his first baby tooth today. It was kind of funny. He came into my office while I was writing on my nanowrimo project and said, "Daddy, my tooth is broken."

I stopped writing and turned around to look. I wasn't sure what he meant because he uses the word "broken" to mean a lot of different things.

He grinned a big wide grin and showed me that his lower incisor was wiggling back and forth. I immediately turned back to the computer to see if I could find out when a kid's teeth are supposed to start falling out.

He said, "I want to pull it out."

I said, "Wait, Daddy needs to find out if your teeth are supposed to come out yet. "

He said, "I did it! I fixed it. All done!"

I turned around and he had pulled his tooth out by himself. He handed it to me and told me he was going to go play trains.

The visions of having to tie a string to a doorknob stooges style, evaporated.

The tooth looked great, with no sign of decay. And it was complete, not chipped. The average age for kids to start losing their teeth appears to be around age 6. He's 5, and got his teeth at 18 weeks, so I assume he's just going to lose them early too. One down, nineteen to go.

Looks like somebody's getting a visit from the tooth-fairy.

No comments: