Sunday, November 19, 2006

Making things fit

I've recovered nearly all my lost word count from losing a day doing tech work. This brings me back close to an average of 2000 words per day, not counting today. That's about what I can expect to accomplish in 90 - 120 minutes, assuming the words will come. If I averaged 1800 words for every 120 minutes that would be 15 words a minute. If I could magically avoid eating, sleeping, pooping, showering, or any other distraction and just keep up that pace I could knock out a 90,000 word book in just under 5 days. But I suspect that it would suffer slightly as my rational thinking wanes a bit after the first 48 hours of no sleeping and no pooping - something I learned in boot-camp.

But 120 minutes is 2/24ths of a day. That made me think of the way my days really play out.
Here are some things I do every day, and some time allocation:
Sleep - 6 hours (25% of my day)
Eat - 3x @ 45 min each. This will be rounded up to 2 hours. (8% of my day)
Work & Drive - 9 to 10 hours deducting lunch in the previous item. (37% - 41% of my day)
Kid time (for me this is playing, homework, diapers, etc...) 2 hours dedicated, and nickel and dimes throughout my waking hours. (8 - 50% of my day depending on circumstances.)

The point here is that the two things I know I ought to be doing are WRITING and EXERCISING. And those are the two things that if I do them give me the most satisfaction emotionally and physically - yet which I find hardest to make time for.

NaNoWriMo has reminded me that getting up at 5:00 am to do stuff is the best way to accomplish things. You only have time for stuff if you MAKE time for it. So combining the military saying of "If you have time to sleep then you have time to work" with the knowledge that if I go to bed at 10:00 pm I can get up at 5:00 am without suffering much, I've been able to meet my goals so far.

The only problems have been getting a virus which weakened me one day and emptied me the next, and trying to squeeze in some computer work. If I don't write in the morning it is terribly hard to get it done during the ensuing day. But I'm betting my best editing work will be done at night, should I ever get that far in the process.

No comments: