Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Mars 30+ Years Later

When I was seven years old Americans landed a spacecraft on Mars. Even though I grew up to love science fiction, this major hurtle towards our eventual colonization of the red planet had already been jumped before I read "The Martian Chronicles" or any other work on the subject. But here in the 21st century I fail to be able to fly my car to the office. Yet I can telecommute if the boss allows it. I don't remember telecommuting being a big theme in sci-fi, but it is a real accomplishment based entirely on geek-tech.

I digress.

This is about Mars. I heard that NASA is planning a Martian "plane" mission where they'll send a plane to mars (via rocket) and let it fly around the surface of the planet taking pictures. A plane can get low enough to get very detailed photos and look for "life signs."

Which brings me to my point: Who cares?

I don't care if there was microbial life on Mars - even if it seeded Earth. What I do care about is that we should be trying (as inexpensively as possible) to seed Mars with earth's bio-matrix. By that I mean that we should scour the earth for hearty bacteria suitable for the Martian environment and dump it all over that little planet in an effort to make Mars a viable backup planet for Earth.

I think about 50% of Mars missions fail - but if the mission was a planned crash to eject bacteria everywhere, we might get better results. If I was rich (really, really, really rich) I think I'd try funding something like this. We are never going to get astronauts to fight Martian dinosaurs if we don't start working on this kind of project now!

No comments: